The Women’s Federation for World Peace and Unification (WFWPU) sponsored a seminar aimed at calling people to united action to make the world a better place.
We began by posting a provocative statement. “All the worlds problems start from a common cause.
The key to resolving the many difficult problems facing our country lie within the family.”
I will explain why by discussing two problem areas that most people know about.
The first example is drugs. Illegal drugs are a huge problem with which individuals, families, the police, and federal government agencies are fighting a losing battle. This problem can be approached in different ways;
- stop the people growing the cocaine or the opium
- disrupt the distribution chain
- help drug users to overcome their drug addiction
- or eliminate the demand by teaching people to not buy or use drugs.
The only way to overcome the scourge of drugs is to eliminate the demand by educating people against buying or even trying* drugs.
* people who sell drugs often initially give away free samples to potential users because they know that they will make an ongoing income once the person becomes addicted.
Another example is the problem of human trafficking, especially of women and young girls as young as 13 or 14, which is a growing concern even in so called civilized America. It is now a 32 billion dollar a year criminal business second only to illegal drugs.
Again the only way to overcome this problem is to eliminate the demand from the minds of the men who selfishly indulge their lustful desires like the men of Sodom and Gomorrah.
Because problems like these originate in the mind, it seems impossible that we will ever overcome them. Even St Paul recognized how hard it is to control ones mind (Rom 7:20-24).
When these problems are affecting families so miserably, how can we say that the key to solving them lie within the family? Our hope rises when we understand that God who is absolute and unchanging, never intended that our mind would become our enemy and has been tirelessly, desperately searching for a way to show us how to regain control.
God has inspired men and women to understand both internal and external truth through religion and science.
For example, philosophers study the scientific disciplines of;
- Ontology (model of reality as a whole) What is?
- Explanation (model of the past) Where does it all come from?
- Prediction (model of the future) Where are we going?
- Axiology (theory of values) What is good and what is evil?
- Praxeology (theory of actions) How should we act?
- Epistemology (theory of knowledge) What is true and what is false?
Many great scientists have tried to integrate these and other areas of study into a complete theory known as a world view. They have by and large failed because of their inability to reconcile religious beliefs and values with their scientific fields of study.
As a result, individuals are left to adopt their own world views that are passed down in their families, learned by experience, and found to describe their reality sufficiently well to “get by” with. But confusion and chaos reign because wrong values lead to wrong behaviors and differing values lead to disagreement, division and conflict.
Teaching children right values through family and school, is what is needed, but not just any values will do.
What is needed is a world view with the following values;
- It must be acceptable to all mankind.
- It must be simple and clear enough to teach even very young children about God and the ideal life that God intended.
- It should also explain Gods motivation and process for creating the world and all living things.
- It must explain why the world is not ideal.
- It should explain how God and men have been working throughout history to regain the ideal.
- It should also explain how human beings are to live their daily lives so that their spirit matures along with the physical body and eventually passes into the spiritual world after death to live together with our loved ones for eternity
- It should explain how scientific knowledge and religious truth can be reconciled.
Once people are educated in such a world view, these concepts will stay with them throughout their lives. Then we can have tremendous hope to protect our children from the temptations of drug sellers or traffickers as they get older.
My hat goes off to those organizations who rescue and rehabilitate a few individuals here and there, but they will never be able to completely solve these problems by dealing only with the victims or imprisoning those making money from these crimes.
All the problems we are facing today in America and around the world are problems of the heart and conscience, which no government or military force or any amount of normal education can impact upon.
Only when large numbers of families come together and educate their children with an absolutely God centered world view can the self-centeredness endemic in society be eliminated.
Gods’ hope is that American families will assume their responsibility to lead the world by raising their young people to become responsible citizens who love others like family, irrespective of color, ethnic, racial or socio-economic background.
If enough American families support one another in taking this responsibility big changes will occur in our communities and in the nation. Once we start to make progress, the world will follow Americas’ example.